monastery of the Prophet Ilias is located just outside the
village of Roustika (approximately 17km south-west of
According to inscriptions on two bells on the
site, work started on the existing monastery in 1637.
However, when the Turks conquered the island in 1646 work on the
monastery was halted. Construction resumed in 1667.
As with other monasteries in the region the monastery of Prophet Ilias played an important role as a centre of resistance during
Turkish rule. The monastery thrived until 1821 when it was
destroyed by the Turks. It was rebuilt in 1831, but was
once again destroyed by the Turks in 1866.