The monastery of Arsani is located approximately 12km east of
Rethymnon, along the road from Stavromenos to Loutro.
monastery is believed to have been founded by a monk called Arsenios during the period of Venetian occupation and the
earliest written reference to the monastery dates back to 1601.
However, the current buildings bear little resemblance to the
16th century monastery. In 1888 the central church of Agios Giorgos was constructed on top of the remains of the
earlier buildings. The church was restored in 1970, and in
1989 the nave was decorated with frescoes.
has a museum, containing an excellent collection of icons from
churches of the Prefecture of Rethymnon - many of which belong
to the style of the Cretan School.